Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

What Women Want








I rang the bells of freedom from the highest hills for all to hear
But they only tinkled like silver chimes inside the shell of her ear
I swung the hammer of justice pounding the gavel like thundering Thor
She tilted her head and said, “Did you hear that? Is someone at the door?”

I whetted my glittering sword; flashed yellow lightning across the sky
She yawned at me as if she were bored and closed her sapphire eyes
I brought the beauty of Eden, untouched, and killed the serpent there
“Do you think these shoes with this dress are too much?”
She asked as she curled her hair.

I poured out my heart like burgundy wine and begged her take the cup
She never touched the fruit of the vine, not even so much as a sup
I bought her gold and diamonds, enough to fill her jewelry box
She said, "I’ll never understand why men can’t match their socks."

And so I sat frustrated then, head in hands; staring at my feet
She said, “You should have made dinner plans, you used to be so sweet.”
And then I cursed her vanity till angels plugged their ears above.
What women want, a man can’t be and damn this thing called love!

2 comments:

  1. this is fantastic! a rhythm that's driven, passionate and wryly humorous with sardonic twist. i've known men like this too, vanity and self-obsession are so genderless, aren't they?

    thanks for such an enjoyable read first thing this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading. I'm sorry for not replying sooner but I really didn't think anyone would be interested in my scribbling. Bless you, you made my day!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Boone, North Carolina, United States
North Carolina poet and musician Fabian G. Franklin invites you to join him on a poetic journey through the soul.