Search This Blog

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Things I'll Never Do



I never saw a diamond
Sparkle like a spider's web
All drenched in dew at sunrise
Or frozen clods of earth
On a winter's morn

Like amethyst innards of geodes
Crystalline formations
Sprout from nothing but dirt
Where flowers and trees are born

I never saw a sapphire shine
As true as a clear blue sky
I'm more fond of turquoise
Though I could not tell you why

I prefer the glint of silver
Darting across the stream
To the glamour of golden jewelry
And other fancy things

I never heard a poem
As lovely as a prayer
From a mother for her children
As she tucks them into bed;

Never a song more beautiful
Than birds in spring at dawn;
I could not snap my fingers to it
Yet nary a word was said

I never felt a freedom
Like the roving of the wind
Whistling in wild abandon
Past the mustang's tossing mane;

Or through some lonesome canyon
Beneath the eagle's wing
With the wild wolf howling
A secret of something

But I have no regrets
For things I'll never do
When the sun of my life sets
I'll trust the moon and stars to you


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Boone, North Carolina, United States
North Carolina poet and musician Fabian G. Franklin invites you to join him on a poetic journey through the soul.